Statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that bicycle accidents lead to serious injuries and death far too often. Far too many of these accidents involve drivers who flee the scene. A hit and run bicycle accident puts victims in a precarious position. Fortunately, cyclists do have options to recover the compensation they need to cover their injuries and accident-related costs.

Will my car insurance cover my injuries?

Many cyclists are also drivers. This is good news after a hit and run bicycle accident because it means you likely already carry mandatory medical benefits coverage, sometimes known as a Med-Pay. Even if you only carry the minimum your insurance company should cover any medical bills up to $5,000.

Of course, when a car strikes a cyclist, serious injuries often result. Costs of hospitalization and treatment can surpass this $5,000 limit in a matter of hours, if you carry optional uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, it should also kick in and pay for your care.

Note: Most insurers will require a police report to cover a hit and run accident.

What are my options for additional insurance coverage?

In the case of major injuries, many car accident victims need to file a claim based on the at-fault driver’s liability insurance to cover all their damages and pay for any necessary ongoing care. When the liable driver leaves the scene of the crash, that makes this impossible unless police identify him/her.

You can help them catch the hit and run driver by providing as much information as possible after the accident. Eyewitnesses also often play a key role in providing identifying information. If possible, give police details about:

  • The color, make, model, and year of the vehicle
  • The direction the driver went after the crash
  • A full or partial license plate number
  • A physical description of the driver
  • Information from anyone else who witnessed the accident

What if I do not have coverage through a car insurance policy?

Even if you do not have car insurance, you may be eligible for coverage under someone else’s policy. This occurs when you live under the same roof as an immediate family member who has qualifying coverage. If a family member or spouse has car insurance and you reside at the same address, chances are you can file a claim based on his/her coverage.

If this is not an option, but you have health care coverage, your health insurance may pay for your treatment.

It happens every day. Cyclists follow all the best practices, ride safely, and Colorado’s cycling laws, and still end up in a crash. Then the driver speeds away from the scene, leaving the cyclist injured and confused about how/she will pay for his/her medical care.

If you have any questions, you should contact Malman Law Firm at 303-733-7900 or

Request Consultation

Are you wondering if you have a case? You can reach our office at
(303) 733-7900 or get a free case review by filling out the form below.